Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Post one of the poems you've written here. If you'd like, you may want to tell the prompt you used or the inspiration for the poem, but it's not necessary. Read the poems of your peers and respectfully comment on at least one of them. In terms of comments, we're looking for positive feedback (specific lines/parts/techniques that you liked), questions, and constructive suggestions for revision.

154 comments:

  1. "Bad Drivers"

    You drive really bad,
    You're making me really mad.
    Going too fast or too slow,
    Better watch out for the popo.
    Not using your blinker while turning,
    Keeps my anger burning.
    Txting while driving,
    You won't be surviving.
    You take my right of way,
    I'll try to keep my road rage at bay.
    Get it through your head,
    You need to go back to driver's ed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your line that says "better watch out for the popo." Your poem was very funny Jake!!!

      Delete
    2. I get just what you are saying Jake. I hate drivers that think they own the road.

      Delete
  2. "Rise Above"
    Negative thoughts lead to a
    Negative mind.
    Dark soul.
    Dark heart.
    Slowly sinking into the bitter black sea.
    A light.
    A thread of hope.
    A beam of happiness.
    Slowly rising from the deep.
    within a new change begins.
    Out of the ashes.
    Warm soul.
    Warm heart.
    Happy thoughts lead to a.
    Happy mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Mind”

    My mind wanders sometimes

    It takes me to many places

    I think of the “what ifs” and “shoulda-coulda-woulda’s”

    My mind is a free realm, it does not back thoughts

    It makes my decisions, ignores my heart’s desires, and hurts me

    Yet, it is mighty, strong, powerful, free-willed

    My mind takes me to vacations I’ve never been and drags me

    to my worst nightmares
    This mind is all mine and it is me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mind blown! Nice poem madelyn!

      Delete
    2. This is so good! I like the line "My mind is a free realm."

      Delete
  4. My Perfect Day
    I wake up in Cali
    On a beautiful summer’s day
    Determined to get my day started
    Nothing will get in my way
    No alarm clocks, no parents
    Just me and my beauty sleep
    Along with Shia Labeouf
    In his convertible going “beep beep!”
    I get out of bed
    We are going out for brunch
    Driving top-down in downtown LA
    Drinking our Hawiian Punch
    Next we go to the beach
    The sand in our feet
    The gentle sounds of rolling waves
    In the mid-day, summer heat
    At night I hit the town
    To take as many dance classes possible
    Millenium, Edge, and Debbie Allen’s too
    By the end of my perfect day,
    I’ll feel rejuvenated and renewed

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The Lonely Club"

    Paint can be deceiving
    But my club thumb is still grieving
    No matter how hard it tries
    It sticks out in finger weaving

    It's not always bad to be different
    And my club thumb appears to be acceptant
    The taller thumbs of my friends may scorn it
    Because for normal thumbs, today's society is expectant

    Megan Fox has one too
    We don't let ourselves get blue
    Club thumbs are the secret to being attractive...
    We all know it's true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the title and the relations you made to your thumb. It was very funny!

      Delete
  7. I like the feeling of Spring
    When everything is in perfect harmony
    I dislike the desolate winter.
    It is cold, harsh, and unforgiving.
    It leaves barren destruction of its wrath.
    I love the sound of the howling winds and the crunch of snow under boot.
    I love the frosted look of Earth,
    asleep under a blanket of white.
    I love the way the trees sway
    When all that covers melts away
    and new life is breathed in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drug Addicts

    We real cool
    We break rules

    We blow smoke
    We do coke

    We get drugs
    We act like thugs

    We get high
    We will die

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Last Game

    I couldn’t describe it
    The fog had ruined our chances
    I stood there, next to my mom and dad
    And waited to see my brother walk past me
    The walk of shame
    Tears were in each of their eyes
    Some had their helmets on
    So you couldn’t see their pain
    I knew some of them
    What was I going to say to Dan to make him feel better?
    Nothing
    There were no words
    We sawe him a couple feet out
    Walking toward us
    His eyes red and puffy
    He hugged mom
    He half-arm hugged me
    Knowing I would hate his sweaty jersey
    When he got to my dad, both of them broke down
    Tears flowed down their cheeks
    Dan quickly walked off
    I was proud
    But I’d never seen him like that
    He showed up to dinner
    Eyes still red and puffy
    He looked like a broken picture
    This, was his last game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your poem, it reminded me of my older brother's last game and how upset he was. You captured this moment perfectly. Great job!

      Delete
  10. The air was humid
    All the cheers and screams filled the air
    Our air was tense
    We hadn't won any awards and we felt the tears coming
    Then , in our last sliver of hope we pulled ourselves together and waited
    We waited for the last award to be called
    the most prestigious award
    The one we were all praying for
    The one we couldn't breathe for
    They start to describe the award
    The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife
    They let out a few hints on who won.
    "With their varsity letter,
    and JFLL summer camp,
    This team is truly 'On Track'"
    The cheers erupt in the stands
    We don't even wait for them to announce our names
    The tears start flowing and no one can stop
    There was hugging and jumping
    There was screaming and laughing
    All of our hard work had just paid off
    All of the hours we spent mentoring and coaching
    All of the picking trash up off the side of the road
    The petitioning for our center
    Every second of our hard work had just paid off
    For, we won Chairman's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Old Major"

    Oh the things those eyes have seen
    Living on a farm, things could get mean
    When papa would whip little Lucie with the belt,
    Old Major would run to her side as she knelt
    Days at a time he would go without food
    He could smell the beef in the broth being stewed
    Although some days weren’t always so bad
    On days Lucie played were the best that he had
    As winter months came it was harder to rise
    He didn’t show pain, though he silently cried
    Lucie grew up and left Majors side
    With nothing to live for, he curled up and died

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for depressing me with this poem.

      Delete
  12. Summer

    You know when it’s summer when the cool rainy weather of spring
    turns into a warm and sunny paradise;
    When the exhausting hours of school are no more,
    and you become free. You can lay by your pool
    getting the golden bronze color everyone loves on their skin
    and you can hear the birds chirping in the lush treetops.
    When the warm breeze passes by your face my heart fills with joy.
    That’s when you know it’s summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Half a Man"

    A true riches to rags story
    Like Kevin Ware, but not as gorey.
    A household name for all the wrong reasons,
    “Two and a Half Men” had its last good season.
    Charlie Sheen took his role too seriously, I bet
    He never dropped the personality once he left the set.
    Loose morals and women became his life, sinning.
    That’s how he rolls with his life now, winning.
    Tiger blood and rocks was how he ran
    And that’s how he went from two and a half to only half a man.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great poem. I like your final line.

      Delete
    2. Haha Adam very good poem, you're very full of wit!

      Delete
  14. My Big Green Eyes

    My big green eyes open,

    It is time to wake up,

    I look at the time, 7:05

    My big green eyes grow real big,

    I’M LATE!

    They search for my shoes,

    They search for the door,

    I see some red cars but no yellow school buses,

    And here comes the school,

    I dread the walk to the big front door,

    I see all the people,

    Fake or real, nobody knows,

    I see all the looks,

    The freaky little stares,

    They’re glaring at me,

    The up and down gazes are really creeping me out,

    I glance down to see……

    NO PANTS!

    ALI BAKERS POEM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I love the ending! So comical!

      Delete
    2. I remember reading this in class, it made me laugh and knowing you that might actually happen to you...Definitely fits your personality

      Delete
  15. A perfect start
    to what I thought was the perfect day,
    mastering skills I never though I could,
    ending in a way I never thought it would,
    The first went fine,
    the next ended in a sigh,
    I lied there and cringed,
    Only to discover my knee was unhinged.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They could be great,
    it makes me irate,
    the decisions they make,
    prove that they're fake,
    Wannabe thugs, pimps, and hicks,
    their conversations riddled with tricks,
    they set you up, get you to care,
    until all you can do is glare,
    when they cast you aside,
    and away they slide,
    to find a new person to use,
    another sucker they can abuse,
    If you can see through the disguise, you're in luck,
    They're all leaches - they suck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spring

    Rainy days
    Creating a foggy haze
    Blooming flowers show some color
    As snow piles are getting smaller
    Animals waking up from hibernation
    Coming out from their dens with hesitation
    Spring is one of the best seasons
    I could give you a thousand more reasons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this poem, the imagery really creates a strong picture in my head.

      Delete
    2. This poem is amazing! I love the imagery and the rhyming is stupendous!

      Delete
  18. Looking for Parents
    One young child
    Looking for love
    Wishes two people would accept him as their own
    They don’t need an expensive car
    The y don’t need a huge house
    They don’t need a giant T.V.
    With an Xbox 360
    All they need is
    Time
    Time they can give away
    Time in which they will stay
    Time for picnics and walks pm the beach
    But in the end he wants parents
    Parents who will love him for who he is

    ReplyDelete
  19. Humpty Dumpty: Middle- Ages Version
    Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
    Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
    All the king’s horses and all the king’s men
    Couldn’t put him back together again

    Humpty Dumpty- Modern Version
    Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
    Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
    His legs snapped and his bones shatter
    His blood covered the ground splattered
    He cried out for the horses and men of the king
    But they weren’t around- It’s 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  20. At the bottom with stressful fear
    Eyes glossed with dreams and goals
    My reduced status is made quite clear
    But my gift is a courageous soul.

    Craving more but lacking gain
    I battle for my rightful seat
    The typhoon comes with joyless rain
    But in hope and love I have you beat.

    The ladder I mount sways in endless toil
    But half full I’ll view my cup
    In strife and stress I walk this mortal coil
    From the bottom looking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the last line, it's a poem anyone can relate to!

      Delete
  21. To most it seems pointless
    There is no way to score, no goal to make
    but to us, to me it is everything
    It takes away the mad inside
    It talks me off the ledge
    It pushes me to do things I never thought I could
    It cost a price, a very high price
    One that not all are willing to pay
    The aches and pains, time and energy
    But those who pay the price have no regrets
    Those who have paid the price would gladly pay it once more
    We pay in miles, we earn in time
    Time is the enemy, time is a friend
    It counts up, it counts down, it will not score but it is a goal
    Once the price is paid, the miles ran and the goal in sight, it pushes me even more
    Crossing the line scheiving the goal
    I feel sorry for those who say it is pointless
    They will never know the overwhelming rush of emotion that words can't begin to describe
    Go ahead say there is nothing to it
    But just one run can change your mind

    ReplyDelete
  22. "Old Major"
    The Star's light begins the morn,
    yet he has sprung the day
    cool air wisps, wet grass mists, as Old Major hunts the Ides of May.
    The Golden rays crest the Earth,
    yet he is lord of the land
    his gaze unwavers, my mind will still savor Old Major caressing my hand.
    The moon beams glow at dusk,
    he rests with a gleam in his eye
    golden skies dim, with velvet fluff trim, as grand Old Major passed by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great poem Louie! I remember you reading this one in class.

      Delete
  23. have you ever seen a dog behind an invisible fence?
    he barks and paws to get out, looks at you, drooling, madness in his eyes.
    so desparate.
    so strange that nothing is physically stopping him, just a shock, a movement of particles
    through his body that he can’t handle.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This voice is a small voice.
    It flits and flutters, like a butterfly tickling your ear,
    it speaks softly and remains hidden until necessary.
    This voice has been taunted,
    this voice has been encouraged,
    but this voice does not respond to the will of others.
    It cherishes words and their ability to make you invincible when they come from the right person
    It loathes words and their ability to engulf you in darkness when they come at the wrong time
    This voice is silent but speaks louder than most.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Smallville
    Can you look through these glasses to see me?
    Though I appear meek and very timid
    You may see there is so much more to me.
    In a mere second I could save your life.
    A life that has become so dear to me.
    Your intense courage always draws me in.
    Stubbornness seems to be your own power.
    An angel can’t compare to your beauty.
    Soaring through the sky feels like a lifetime
    Away from you I can hardly bear it.
    As man of steel I can’t have weaknesses
    However, kryptonite may bring me harm.
    Lois Lane you are my new kryptonite.
    Kryptonite that can pierce through to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great poem. i love the last line especially.

      Delete
    2. Poetry + Superheroes = Awesome.

      Delete
  26. Where I’m from
    I am from a house-full of girls,
    lots of Barbie dolls, babies, and little girl curls.
    I am from movies and crafts,
    to keep me busy and out of troubled pasts.
    I am from Sunday family dinners.
    I am from the state known for no twisters.
    From long-braided hair, and bows to match;
    Annual visits in the fall to the pumpkin patch.
    I am from Christie and Scott,
    Two parents working together, happy as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  27. If I Were in Charge of the World

    If I were in charge of the world,
    People would ride to work on a roller coaster,
    Cancer would be cured,
    And dogs would actually know how to play poker.

    If I were in Charge of the world,
    It would be acceptable to sing a song just for fun,
    Poverty wouldn’t exist,
    And every day would be a sunny one.

    If I were in charge of the world,
    Children wouldn’t know lonesome or hatred or abuse,
    People would be kind,
    And break out in dance on cue.

    If I were in charge of the world
    Gas prices would be low, and
    People would actually treat others the way they want to be treated.
    But then again, what do I know?


    ReplyDelete
  28. Unobserved
    I see you standing, staring, bleeding,
    Lost between consciousness and a blood high.
    You waste so many moments stumbling aimlessly.
    Finally aware of your surroundings
    you tilt your face upward

    Tripping, falling, skidding, halting
    The moon and stars obscure the midnight-black clouds.
    The cold gusts chaseyour hair across your face
    Your brown eyes exposed and blinking

    You lay staring at the sky,
    Your eyes harden in disgust
    as you see the blood dripping from your arm.
    So many emotions play across your face:
    Disgust. Pain. Pity. Annoyance. Fear. Resolve.

    I can see the wheels turning,
    I can see this isn’t what you want.
    The hardness in your eyes tells me more than words
    Your shriek pierces the silence,
    You lurch unsteadily to your feet.
    I blink and you’ve disappeared.
    I wonder if you were ever even there. . .

    ReplyDelete
  29. Major was a talented dog
    he was a chaser of hogs
    sometimes he sat on a log
    other times he went for a jog
    but once he got lost in a fog
    and fell in the bog
    so he swam through the fog
    almost at a jog
    until he could get on a log
    and call to the hogs
    Major was a talented dog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your pattern. I like that you use the same last words in opposite order. It makes me want to pet Major. But he sounds dirty.
      Well done!

      Delete
  30. I used to think my father was quite annoying
    always nagging and lecturing...boring!
    until one day he was taken away
    I never knew that kind of pain
    that had come from that day
    now that I have cherished every moment
    always loving and hoping of it
    that now he's gone, he will forever know
    I will remember him wherever I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this, it reminds us to cherish every moment with the ones close to us because we never know how much time we have with them.

      Delete
  31. Spring

    Sunlight shines through the once dark sky
    What is left of the snow is beginning to fade
    Flowers creep up after a long winter gone
    Bare branches are once again covered in green
    A light breeze flutters throughout the air
    Animals return after a long winters sleep
    Temperatures rise ending the cold
    Spring is here, bringing new life

    ReplyDelete
  32. These hands are little hands
    They are tiny, soft, and delicate hands
    They do a myriad of things throughout the day
    They wash, they clean, they write, they play
    These hands dance on a violin, a calculator, and a phone
    They can even make a pretty tone
    These hands are wonderful hands
    These hands of which I speak
    These are my hands
    And these hands are mine to keep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the rhyming and the simpleness to the poem. Very cute and fun to read.

      Delete
  33. The wind blows as flowers bloom.
    The grass glistens under the fog.
    Leaves appear and birds cheer.
    A light breeze blows by.
    The calm before the storm…
    Fronts meet
    Towering clouds arise
    Rain falls
    Lightning crashes
    And thunderous applause follows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you personified a storm. The line "The calm before the storm…" is great and very true!

      Delete
  34. The Sea
    Roaring like a lion
    As scary as one too
    Ready to drag you down
    Deep within the blue
    It's terrifying and beautiful
    Easy to get turned around
    You must watch where you step
    Or you may possibly drown
    It's vast and deep and wide
    As amazing as the sun
    But make one mistake
    And you are surely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the rhymes used and the comparison of the sea to a lion. I can really picture the ocean in my head. Nicely done!!

      Delete
  35. Lost-Courage

    I lost that sense of courage
    Trying to appear strong to others
    Instead I seem weak
    And not caring like loving mothers

    I'm trying to find it again
    Though I'm not sure where it could be
    Perhaps someone used it
    While taking it away from me

    This feeling of fear
    Breaking down at away minute
    I would really want someone to find it
    So I may be courageous again.

    ReplyDelete
  36. My Path

    I walk down the street,
    the same path I always take.
    The sky darkens and the rain falls upon me
    foreshadowing the long day that awaits.

    Life is a story untold
    but secrets are revealed when least expected.
    Words spoken can change everything and everyone.

    I choose to walk a different street
    unlike any path I've traveled before.
    My life is mine to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really great poem! It inspires me to take control of my own life! Good work!

      Delete
  37. "Wanted: New ACT score" - Cameo by Yatri

    Wanted, a new ACT score
    one that is a little higher than a 24
    Even though its a little above average
    I want one that will get my friends off my back
    One that will help Yatri to fall in love with me
    One to get into U of M and fulfill my dream
    If I keep trying and trying I'm sure it will come
    If not, then it's not meant to be,
    and my 24 will be staying with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said, hope it works out for you.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I love that I can connect with this poem. It just portrays another day in the life of Samuel Ansara. I like that you are optimistic about your future scores and that you have all these goals in mind.

      Delete
    4. Thank you for your wonderful input, Michael.

      Delete
    5. This is a great poem! I espicialy like Line 4.

      Delete
  38. "Girl Seeking Sanity"

    Her dreams grow more vivid
    They portray images that have been suppressed
    Her subconscious is obsessed
    Its goal set on pushing her to livid

    Old memories mock
    Her inability to let go
    And still, her logic does know
    Somewhere inside, these feelings she can block

    She can see that face
    The one she tries to forget
    The one that does not regret
    Oblivious of the harm it does place

    Distortions of the truth
    Exaggerations of the past
    Each as cruel as the last
    Slowly destroying her youth

    As terror insues
    She throws up her wall
    On the outside it wavers, but does not fall
    Accidentally leaving clues

    For the one she clearly can't stand
    And loaths to remember
    A used to be member
    Yearning once more for that hand

    But struggles with one thing above
    Between logic and reason
    And feelings of treason
    Towards that one that she did once love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love this poem. Every aspect of it beams with perfection. I think that the first few lines are very clever about the memories being suppressed.

      Delete
    2. Hannah, I love this poem! The rhyming and description is fantastic!!

      Delete
  39. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Fall

    The cooler weather
    The leaves changing
    Kids going back to school
    The Friday night football games
    The corn maizes and
    The haunted houses
    Dressing up for Halloween
    And eating candy for days
    Long walk through the park
    Sips of apple cider
    Jumping in piles of leaves
    Thats what fall is all about

    ReplyDelete
  41. Count the stars with me tonight;
    I am so tired,
    But I can't sleep;
    Insomnia is becoming my routine;
    Walk with me hand in hand,
    Help take away all of the minor details that perplex me
    Into a state of anxiety;
    Blow away the clouds
    With all of your breath;
    Maybe it will bring sense to my confusion;
    I want to see everything that the sky has to offer;
    Don't look at your watch,
    The moon will keep the time;
    It will rise slowly as we wander;
    We are not lost
    Even though our minds contain so many thoughts;
    The universe keeps the secrets
    Older than the longing in our bones;
    Let's not make any promises
    So many have been broken;
    Just enjoy my company tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the imagery in your poem especially in the first line and in "Blow away the clouds." Nice job it sounds really good!

      Delete
    2. I really love this! "The universe keeps the secrets older than the longing in our bones." is my favorite line! There is also a lot of great imagery.

      Delete
    3. You are an outstanding writer! Your use of words is absolutely incredible, and the emotions and imagery are extremely powerful.

      Delete
  42. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Memories

    A time of sadness and despair
    We all sit in dead silence, listening
    to the stories of the good times,
    reminiscing in what used to be.
    Tissues were passed around as tears begin to flow.
    We all sit there in dead silence.
    Waiting for my great-grandma
    to arrive at any moment.
    But she won't. For she can't.
    She has moved on to a better place.

    Taylor Watkins

    ReplyDelete
  44. Studied like I should
    Even wrote a page of notes
    Took the exam like a champ
    Even though I felt like a ghost
    The test was easy
    Which made me worry
    This is the final exam
    I just wanted to scurry
    My average was 76 percent
    This exam would make a huge dent
    I failed previous tests
    But every time I tried my best
    This was my final test
    And promised to do my best
    The exams were over
    I felt like a bulldozer
    I aced the test
    ...Well I got a 90 percent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny I like it a lot Mackenzie! It's extremely easy to relate to, nice rhymes.

      Delete
  45. Little Girl Memories by Natalya DiCiacca

    Back when I was a little girl
    My younger brother would pull on my hair
    I would sing him little nursery rhymes
    Just hoping to pass the time
    I thought ketchup was blood
    And liked to play in the mud
    I would get out all of mom’s pots and pans
    And make music on them with my hands
    Sometimes I could be mean
    Other times I tried jumping off the swing
    Now I am almost fully grown
    Soon I will be off on my own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute. I especially like the end part where it says "Now I am almost fully grown
      Soon I will be off on my own".

      Delete
  46. Competitiveness is the fuel of life. Humans constantly push eachother to strive for more. Without competition, there would be no reason for accomplishment. We are driven by the desire to be the best. Working hard, thinking that defeat is not an option. The best are not born, they are made from an individuals instinct to succeed. Success is bred from competition. Success will be forged on the road of competitiveness. So never accept defeat, because through the hard work, and the will to compete, victory will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  47. The Seven Dwarfs
    Doc walked into the room of mixed emotions-
    Happy is too giddy because of his ecstasy pills
    Sleepy is on the bed with a bottle of NyQuil in hand
    Sneezy is miserable because he hasn't taken his Clairitin D
    Dopey is still out on the streets searching for some narcotics
    Grumpy is a mean little dwarf since he ran out of anti-depressants
    And last of them all is Bashful who is just too scared and shy to tell all of his friends that they all have a drug abusing problem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked your poem! it describes them in a darker view that you'd never get with Disney.

      Delete
    2. Very clever, such a dark and unique take on the Snow White tale.

      Delete
    3. I love this poem, it really takes the story of Snow White and twists it way out of whack. Very nice!

      Delete
  48. High School

    The seniors all cheer
    because the end is near
    In a couple of weeks
    they will no longer be here

    But some day
    they will look back
    And when they do that
    it will not be
    the bads they see

    Instead, They will see
    the careless freedom
    The friends they made
    and the classroom fun

    They will see
    the people who made them smile
    who were there trough it all
    and made it seem worthwhile

    They will see
    the crazy football games
    the supportive teammates
    and the goofy nick names

    Right now we focus
    so much on the bads
    that the goods won't be visible
    until you look back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very original Yatri! What a great thing to write about...I loved the last paragraph :)

      Delete
    2. I loved your poem Yatri! It reminds me that one day I will be looking back at the years we were in high school! Great Job!

      Delete
    3. Yatri, I really enjoyed this poem! It definately reminds me of how even though we look forward for years to come, but these years have plenty of good times to cherish.

      Delete
  49. Ode to My Teammates

    Ode to my teammates
    Sisters that were destine to find each other
    Battle mates on the field, best friends off
    There's something about playing together that forms a bond
    All working to accomplish one goal
    It's not about one, it's about all
    If one falls down, you pick them up
    If one fails, you must succeed
    You aren't just playing for yourself, you're playing for your team
    Sports are a bitter-sweet thing,
    You can't playing them forever
    At one point in your life, your career is done
    Your game ends, your season ends, high school ends, your youth ends,
    But something that will never end is the friendship with your teammates
    A bond that is hard to describe
    So cherish the moments while you can,
    Because even though time will fade and seasons will end, teammates are forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica!!!! I love this poem. I could picture your closely-knit group the whole time I was reading it...and I can definately relate! Great Job =)

      Delete
    2. So true Jessica, took the words right out of my mouth! Great poem!

      Delete
  50. My Fairy Tale

    The bright lights light up the stage,
    The anticipation growing with each second.
    This is what we've all waited for,
    Counted down the days, the hours, the minutes.
    All for this moment.

    The band takes the stage,
    The crowd erupts into screams
    And everything becomes so surreal.

    Its hard to believe the night's finally come.
    As the band begins the first song,
    Tears slide down my cheek as I belt out the lyrics with all my heart.
    The crowd moves in sync, moving to the beat.

    As the night comes to a close,
    Everyone files out of the venue,
    Sad that it's over so soon.

    This is where I'm truly happy,
    With other people who are here for the same reason:
    The love for the band.
    This is my fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Ode to a Tennis Ball:

    You wouldn't think that such a small thing could control your life as a player.
    This small, round object, covered in yellow material will do exactly what you tell it to do, but you must be specific.
    You can drive it across the flat cement plane or let it soar and abruptly fall from the sky
    This object can help you win, but it can also make you lose.
    Choose your strategy wisely...your match depends on this next point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so good! I really love how you emphasized how the tennis ball can help you win or lose.

      Delete
  52. You don't understand me,
    Or why I do the things I do.
    But I am only trying to love myself,
    only I can't seem to figure out how.
    I wish I had a perfect smile like yours,
    A perfect body like yours,
    and the confidence you do.
    Someone once told me that to love someone, you must love yourself first.
    Could you tell me how to do that?
    Could you please tell me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want a perfect body
      I want a perfect soul
      I want you to notice
      When I'm not around...

      Delete
  53. High school
    The endlessly long classes where I sleep and drool.
    The crowded hallways where we push and shove
    Heading to our classes that we're all sick of.
    The friends I've made through playing sports
    I wouldn't give it up for anything because life is short.
    The homework I didn't do again
    Procrastination gets the best of me every now and then.
    The Friday night lights where I cheer on with my friends
    Hoping that days like these never end.
    The chit-chats and newest gossip at lunch
    That we all listen to while we munch.
    The homecoming and prom dances
    That we rush to get dates for, but are only fake romances.
    The life of a high schooler is long and tough,
    But we know we'll miss it soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the poem abbey! It's sad to think highschool is almost over.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  54. Snapshot of a Love

    Today I looked at you
    and realized all your flaws
    are the things I love the most.
    The green of your eyes are like forests,
    waiting for me to come right in,
    dive in and explore.
    The hair on your chin
    that's thicker on the left than on the right,
    is another thing that I can't forget
    about you.
    And the way you laugh at everything
    with your wide eyes and your goofy grin
    makes me enjoy these little things even more.
    The wrinkles between your eyebrows
    when you're deep in thought
    reminds me of two distinct lines,
    as if to the world to pause for a moment.
    And the little dot of beauty
    right above your lip
    is distracting enough
    to keep me thinking of you all through today.
    So know now and tomorrow,
    these images stay burnt in my mind
    of a boy who came around,
    who came here to stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked this! It was really cute and now I really wanna know who this special guy is. Just try to clarify the comparison about the two wrinkles but all in all it was awesome and I really liked it!

      Delete
  55. His End

    Pale face,
    he has finished his race.
    Silence so still,
    looks could kill.
    Eyes closed,
    The poor child lies perfectly posed.
    Too young for his end,
    he was fairly ten.
    Too much commotion,
    while he lies with no motion,
    his smile so blank,
    seeing it, my heart sank.
    His closed eyes,
    Were once like the deep blue sky,
    But now it is time,
    for me to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this poem. Very powerful. It's melancholy and sorrowful but not too morbid. Great job.

      Delete
    2. I loved your poem! You used such great imagery and it was so sad! Great Job!

      Delete
  56. Here's a quick haicu:
    City of canals
    Gondolas, the renaissance
    A trip to the past

    ReplyDelete
  57. Prompt: Create a modern fairy tale
    The Prince
    Things have changed
    Balls are nothing more than high school dances
    We used to ride up on white horses, now we ride in white limos
    Our suits are made from fabric, and not armor
    We used to have to slay a dragon
    Now we have to face the girl’s father

    ReplyDelete
  58. Born to Lead

    You say you were born to lead,
    To help all who are in need,
    To protect the weak,
    And reward the meek,
    For you are the savior,
    And they vote in your favor.
     
    But you fail as you lead,
    And you hurt those in need,
    You abandoned the weak,
    And you penalized the meek,
    So you are no savior,
    But they vote in your favor.
     
    For you lie and you shame,
    Those that you blame,
    You refuse responsibility,
    And you take no liability,
    For you are their savior,
    And they vote in your favor.
     
    And those that shall wallow,
    Will be those who follow,
    And refuse to see that as their guide,
    You lied and lied.
    For you are the master,
    Who leads this disaster,
    For you claim you’re their savior,
    So they vote in your favor

    ReplyDelete
  59. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Real Fairytale
      Mulans man really like guys
      of every shape and size.
      Auroas Prince kissed her out of her sleep
      just to find out he was a creep.
      Cinderellas Champ was to drunk to remember her face
      after she left without a trace.
      Ariels love wanted her to keep
      even though she didn't say one peep.
      Jasemines dude was a thief
      whose lies were deeper than the coral reef.
      Snow Whites fellow saved her from a curse of a witch
      only because she was once rich.
      Not every Prince were who they seem,
      so did they really achieve their dream?

      Delete
    2. I really like your poem because it's true,and because it's funny too. My favorite lines are the last two. I also like this poem because of the fairtale theme.

      Delete


  60. If I were in charge of the world
    Everyone would be rich
    No starving people on the side of the roads
    No hungry kids crying for food

    If I were in charge of the world
    There’d be happier people,
    more desserts, and
    no chores

    If I were in charge of the world
    You wouldn’t hate your leader
    You wouldn’t have to eat your vegetables
    You wouldn’t have a ton of rules,
    just simple ones

    If I were in charge of the world
    every day would bring excitement
    All sports would be loved equally
    All people would be loved equally
    If I were in charge of the world,
    everything would be better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will vote for you to be the next president of the world. But I really like how you used "You" in the 2nd stanza over and over. It catches the attention of the reader.

      Delete
  61. "Ultimate Vacation"

    Girls run across the beach.
    Kids play in the hot, wet sand.
    Relaxation time.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Prompt: Where I'm From

    I am from peach pie on a summer afternoon.
    I am from picnics by the creek.
    From trees that reach into the sky,
    And provide hours of endless fun.

    I am from old Polish music playing softly
    Throughout the house.
    From dice rolling and marbles moving
    And cards shuffling.
    From “friendly” competition to all the laughs
    And pats on the back.

    I am from catching fireflies at dusk.
    From watching the stars appear in the night sky.
    I’m from begging to stay up just ten more minutes
    And falling asleep listening to stories of old.
    That’s where I’m from.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I'm Going Home

    By Blain Shinkle, Grade 11
    Based on the play “The Terezin Promise” by Celeste Raspanti


    As the voices slip away
    And turn to whispers,
    As the flames die into darkness
    And turn to ashes,
    I hear myself screaming,
    “I'm going home.”

    When the bullets fly out of sight
    And disappear into the sky,
    When the cries of young men echo
    And fade away with the falling night,
    I hear myself shouting,
    “I'm going home.”

    When the blood siphons out,
    And the veins are emptied completely,
    When the eyes turn to stone,
    And the skin turns to ice,
    I hear myself whispering,
    “I'm going home.”

    As the pain melts into sleep,
    And all feeling numbs into nothing,
    As warmth becomes lost in winter,
    And thought diffuses into oblivion,
    I can no longer make a sound.

    As I lie here in wait,
    Frigid and unmoving,
    A hand falls to rest upon my body,
    And a woman's voice rings from above.
    She whispers,
    “He won't go home now.”

    ReplyDelete
  64. White. White is all that surrounds me.
    The light, reflecting off the snow, is blinding.
    As I walk, ice crunches beneath my feet.
    A frigid wind accompanies the frozen ground.
    I stand shivering, admiring the beauty.
    Nothing seems alive. All is still, all is silent.
    I feel as thought I can finally breathe.
    I can think, I can dream, because silence surrounds me.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Abstract


    Life is like a canvas.
    Our experiences make the art.
    We choose the colors to use, we choose where to start.
    There is no one true meaning.
    Painting are not always what they show.
    They reach deep insode of you, for only a meaning you know.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Fall-Out Fairytale

    The little princess was getting older
    She would dance about her room
    And think about her prince's dreamy smolder
    Then came the ball
    Though most would call it simply prom
    The beaten and battered pumpkin carriage
    Pulled up plunkily down Dreary Lane
    I'm sure the muffin man heard it's soulful screech
    Her prince arrived with a suit that was trollishly tattered
    As soon as she got to the ball
    She had a great fall
    Then lost her Jimmy Choos
    Her dreams were shattered
    Bippity Boppity Boo

    ReplyDelete
  67. Ode to the track
    your rock hard surface, your patchy holes.
    400 meters of pain. Your dark surface reflects.
    If it's warm, you make it hotter
    If it's windy, you make it windier.
    If im in pain, You help it subside.
    you make winning,
    that much better.

    ReplyDelete
  68. 675,000,000 seconds that's all that most people get
    and before we know it time has ran out,
    the last grain of sand has dropped

    ReplyDelete
  69. We dance when no ones watching,
    we dance harder when they are.
    We dance with love and passion,
    we dance to heal a scar.
    We dance and use our bodies to tell a tale,
    we dance even though others want us to fail.
    We dance to the sound, the beat of our heart,
    we dance even though our life is falling apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awhh destiny, this is so good. It shows your true passion for dance.

      Delete
  70. Big rough hands grab me from behind,
    with that familiar laugh that was just oh so kind,
    Running outside through the cornstalks,
    i miss those days when all we would ever do was talk.
    You went into the doctors sick,
    and you came out saying, "Oh Jalyn that was just a cinch."
    Everything went back to the way it was,
    But I always seemed to see you pause.
    You would get tired so quickly,
    and to me, you started to look sickly.
    When I came over to visit you weren't there and no one would give me an answer.
    Through my moms cries all I heard was the word "...cancer."
    You told me not to worry,
    And that's when my eyes started to get blurry.
    The last thing I ever heard you say was "I love you."
    and if i could just have one more day with you, I would have said, "Grandpa, I love you too."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jalyn that was such a good poem! It was so sad and showed how much you loved your grandpa.

      Delete
  71. I am from the sunny kitchen
    where mom would make me breakfast.
    I am from the backyard
    where baseball and kickball were played until dark.
    I am from my "Whinnie the Pooh" bedroom
    where i slept with all my stuffed animals
    so none of them felt sad or left out.

    I am from family vacations
    to Disney World and California.
    I am from the cottage at Posey Lake
    and spending the long, hot days in the water.
    I am from papa giving me quaters
    so I could go garage sailing with nana.

    I am from the house I've lived in since birth
    with my mom, dad, and little sister.
    I am from the stage
    where I've learned to perform and sing my heart out.
    I am from the great friends I've made
    with memories I'll never forget.

    As I stare at the piles and piles or scrapbooks,
    I remember the days of preschool and grade school
    and middle school and high school.
    and then I look at my furute
    I may not know where I'm going,
    But i do know where I'm from.

    ReplyDelete
  72. I'ts so nervewracking everytime
    no matter how many times you do it
    You walk in full of confidence
    ready to give it all you got
    But then you see their intimidating faces
    and suddenly every ounce of confidence
    you had has vasnished-gone
    With a smile on your face
    you try as hard as you can
    to gain some of it back
    Because it's all or nothing
    you get a one
    maybe two minute shot
    to leave an impression on
    somebody who doesnt even know-
    or care less who you are
    UNLESS
    you show them exactly what they want
    then and there
    it's nervewracking everytime
    no matter how many times you do it
    and its impossible to know what hey want
    you either have it
    or you don't
    you can pour your heart into it
    and it still may not be good enough
    so you have to show them what you've got
    or it's "next!" for you
    it's everything you've ever dreamed of
    and the pressure's on you
    it's nervewracking everytime
    no matter how many times you do it

    ReplyDelete
  73. "Mirror Mirror"
    She sits and she stares
    Tweaking and fixing all that is fair
    Snow White stops to look
    And all she can see
    Is skin so soft, white and pasty
    So she pleas "oh daddy please can I tan?
    That's the only way I'll ever get a man!"

    Rapunzel stops next and just stands there
    All she can see is her mass of hair
    So she cuts it all off feeling her power,
    But now she will never be rescued from her tower.

    Cinderella sees weakness
    So she cleans and she cleans
    And never wishes and forgets all her dreams
    She never receives her lost glass slipper
    And never knows that her prince should be with her.

    Mirror mirror on the wall
    Who is the fairest of them all?
    None of these girls
    Because they changed it all

    ReplyDelete