What's your opinion of the duke and king at this point? What should Huck and Jim do about them? What do you think is the object of Twain's satirical barbs in the Wilks episode? What is Huck's major moral transformation? What did you make of his exchanges and thoughts regarding Mary Jane? Could it be love? How does Twain develop the themes of truth vs. falsehood and appearance vs. reality here? Do you notice any irony or foreshadowing in this section? What else were you thinking as you read these chapters?
Buck has decided that he is going to be good. He starts undermining the king and duke' s plans. I think he has a crush on Mary Jane.
ReplyDeleteHuck is definitely growing up, he knows that what the king and duke are doing is wrong. Huck and Jim need to get away from them so they won't have any problems. Huck seems to have a soft spot for Mary Jane.
ReplyDeleteHuck is really maturing. He's starting to develop a sense of what is right and what is wrong. He knows that the Duke and the King are con-artists and seeing how they have little sympathy about what they have done, means they could do something even worse. It's putting Jim and Huck in harms way. They need to get rid of them because they've caused more trouble than they have done to help.
ReplyDeleteThe king and duke are bad people. Huck is growing up and starts to try to ruin the plan and show that they are frauds. He also strays from the way he was raised and starts to think for himself when he decides to rip the letter up instead of sending it and turning Jim in. He is becoming a good person but he is with the wrong people.
ReplyDeleteAs Huck grows and matures he’s starting to understand the difference between right and wrong. He knows that the King and the Duke are con-artists and that he shouldn’t allow them to steal from the people like they do. He’s starting to go behind their backs and foil their plans. None the less Huck and Jim need to get rid of both of them but first Huck needs to figure out a way to get Jim back.
ReplyDeleteAs Huck grows as a character, he begins to realize how awful the duke and king really are. Huck and Jim need to figure out a way to get away from them for good. I think Huck really loves Mary Jane, considering he risked everything to help her. I think Twain is foreshadowing that Huck will finally escape the frauds with Jims help.
ReplyDeleteI think Huck is really beginning to mature at this point in the novel. I'm not a big fan of the Duke and King I think they just use Huck and are really mean people. I think it would be best for Huck and Jim to get away from them because they will eventually end up just causing them a lot of trouble. Huck and Mary Jane's relationship really intrigues me. I really do think there could be love between the two. I am very interested to see what comes in the coming chapters!
ReplyDeleteI think that the duke and king are horrible people. They feed off people's issues just to make money and they are using Huck and Jim. Huck and Jim should ditch them as soon as they can. Huck is starting to mature and become a man at this point. With Mary Jane, he is maturing and doing the right thing telling her. This is not love, though. The foreshadowing is partly that king and duke found Huck and Jim and rejoined them.
ReplyDeleteHuck is realizing as he matures that he can't allow the duke and the king to keep robbing inncoent people any longer. Huck is becoming a great person and it especially shows when he gets the Wilks money back. Huck and Mary Jane definitly have a connection and I really hope they end up together.
ReplyDeleteI'm starting to really dislike the duke and king. Huck and Jim seriously need to get away from them. Huck is going through a big moral transformation right now, and I think it's extremely good for him. I think he has a puppy dog crush on Mary Jane, but nothing like love. I sense a bit of foreshadowing that Jim and Huck will escape from the duke and the king.
ReplyDeleteAt this point, I think the duke and the king have become dangerous. Originally they just seemed like harmless fools contributing to the adventure, but judging by the fight they had after Huck tried to get away, they seem capable of much more. Huck and Jim should get as far away from them as they can. Huck has also changed. He appears more aware of consequences and how his actions make people feel. This change is made prominent when he feels bad about stealing the Wilks girls' money. I don't think it means that he loves Mary Jane, but I think that the innocence and vulnerability of the girls makes him realize the bad things he has been doing. Telling Mary Jane about the scheme is a turning point when it comes to Huck's character, and it is much easier to feel sympathetic for him afterwards.
ReplyDeleteI despise the duke and the king in this book. I hated when they separated the slave family; it was a selfish thing to do. Huck and Jim need to escape from these two. Twain makes fun of society in these chapters because the duke and the king can just come into the town and people believe they are the uncles. Huck is growing up because he seems to have a crush on Mary Jane. I thought it was ironic that during these chapters one of the girls was called "hare-lip" due to her birth defect, yet she is the only one that believes Huck.
ReplyDeleteI think that the king a duke are both losers for seperating the slave family and lying to the three girls and all of the townspeople. They have been living a complete lie and have been profiting from it. I see Huck maturing very qquickly during these chapters because he finally decides to speak up about the frauds. He knew the differance between right and wrong before but was too afraid to speak up about it. Now, after seeing how the three girls will suffer as orphans, he decides to stand up and con the con men.
ReplyDeleteHuck has known the duke and king were frauds from the beginning. While not as opposed to them as Jim, Huck didn't believe in what they've been doing. Like always, Huck avoids any confrontations. Then he meets Mary Jane and her sisters. He's never really met people so kind, loving, and innocent. This touchs him and Huck decides to do what's right. However, at first Huck's morals only concern the sisters. The only reason Huck tells Mary Jane that the slave famiy will be reunited is to make her happy- not because he's that upset over the family. Later in the last chapter, Huck does stand against society and the values he was raised with and decide to save Jim.
ReplyDeleteI dislike duke and the king. huck and Jim should try to get rid of them because they just cause problems. Twain is trying to show how dumb the town is. I think huck admires Mary jane and he cares a lot about her. he thinks she is beautiful and I don't think he has ever felt this way about a girl before. huck is becoming more mature.
ReplyDeleteI really don't like the king and the duke, even though they do add some comedy to the book. They also do a lot of bad things though, like taking all that money from the people for their stupid shows and from the man who died. Huck and jim need to ditch them while they are putting on a show and leave them without a raft. Huck deffinitley feels something for Mary Jane , but he has never had feelings for a girl before. I don't think he knows quite what to do.
ReplyDeleteThe disappointment that Huck feels when the Duke and the King catch up to Huck and Jim, foreshadows that things are goings to get worse. The later events are also foreshadowed by the uneasiness that Huck and Jim feel when the King and Duke go and plan for their next big scam. In these chapters, Huck reached a personal turning point when he couldn't stand what the King and Duke where doing and told Mary Jane the truth.
ReplyDeleteAt this point in the novel, the Duke and King are going to continue causing problems and tension between Jim, Huck, and various townspeople. I had a bad feeling about the Duke and King from the start, but I had no idea what they were capable of. In my opinion, Huck and Jim must strategically escape from the two men.
ReplyDeleteHuck continues to have an inner battle between himself and society. However, I feel he is beginning to understand how much Jim means to him. He is also beginning to realize the negative effect the Duke and King are causing during their adventure. I think if Huck follows his gut and his heart, he will make the right decisions and reach his goal.
Huck is really growing into a man in my opinion. He is realizing what things are right and what things are wrong. He knows that the duke and the king are tricking people and realizing how it is wrong to take advantage of innocent people. Huck and Jim need to get away from them because they are a horrible influence on the two of them and could cause serious trouble.
ReplyDeleteHuck realizes that the duke and king are bad people, now he just needs to get away from them. I think Huck also has a crush on Mary Jane. but is not quite sure what to do about it. I don't think he is in love with her though.
ReplyDeleteSorry this is late, I hope I can get some credit for this. I don't like the Duke and King. They are annoying and just cause trouble. I think ditching them would have been a good idea for Huck and Jim. Huck really likes Mary Jane and he doesn't want to lie to her or hurt her. I think he has a crush on her.
ReplyDelete